Lots of cleanup and more indication that WOO is heading towards plugins and add-ons.
It looks more and more like Canvas will be leaner and leaner and rely more on (WOO) plugins and add-ons than being the Swiss army knife that it currently is. For example, see below, but there is now even a clear notice that Portfolio will be replaced by the Projects plugin. Bummer if you’ve been using Portfolio … even bigger bummer if you’ve been using it extensively.
[box type=”info”]Important: This feature will be removed from the theme in the future and replaced with Projects by WooThemes. Please download and install the plugin.[/box]
What does this mean for Canvas? What’s left under the hood that makes it better / different / worth buying than other WOO themes or other themes from other developers? Off the top of my head and if I do a quick scroll of features still in Canvas, let’s see: Magazine layout(s) are still handy, Business layout is still a good slider (I sometimes like it better than WOO Slider), the mega Google fonts options are found nowhere else in such depth as far as I know (but I don’t know all that much about other WOO themes … ), boxed layout, full-width layout, styling for nav, widgets, footer, header, a cool contact page. But that’s about it. So if I sum up: layout options and major styling Point & Click for most areas of the site. Can other themes do that? Sure. But Canvas still does it really well. IMHO, Canvas is still a rockstar and let’s see how these plugins work together and if the make the final product better and by how much.
Here’s the long list of changes for 5.7.0.
2014.05.01 – version 5.7.0
* Fix – Hide comments from private posts in the “Comments” tab.
* Tweak – When search scope is set to “Products”, the WooCommerce search widget is used.
* Fix – Respect more tag in Magazine featured posts.
* Tweak – Converted Less into Sass
* Tweak – Removed layout.css and moved desktop styles into style.css.
* Tweak – Changed namespace of FontAwesome icons.
* Tweak – Added deprecated notice to Portfolio section in the Theme Options panel.
* Tweak – Moves WooCommerce into plugin integrations folder.
* Fix – Disable Map Scroll option for Contact Page now works.
* Tweak – Adds styling for testimonials on single project pages.
* Fix – Fixed auto height in WooSlider.
* Fix – Fixed issue with excerpt preventing the image link from working in WooSlider.
* Fix – Fixed bug where Primary Navigation bottom margin did not take effect when full width was enabled.
* Tweak – Added proper Features by WooThemes integration.
* Fix – Fixes styling on the remove button in the WooCommerce cart page.
* New – Archives by WooThemes integration.
* New – Subscribe and Connect by WooThemes integration.
* New – Sensei integration.