Is it just me, or are WordPress users moving to Squarespace in droves?I don’t have any scientific numbers on this, but if I just take a small sampling of the several hundred clients I’ve managed over the years, I’d say it’s maybe around 25%. That includes sites of (really) old clients I happened to come across who had made the switch to Squarespace and those who tell me.
But seriously, why not move to Squarespace?
Let’s make a little checklist. I would move to Squarespace if:
- I wanted to pay only a single company for hosting, theme, plugins, domain, security and any other pop-up costs that tend to come across when building a WordPress site.
- I actually really like their themes and don’t feel a pressing need to customize the bejesus out of every nook and cranny of the code. In fact, I don’t even want to hear the word code.
- I don’t want to pay a developer to make changes.
- I don’t really feel like I need to hire an admin to cut and paste my copy into a page.
- I don’t care about all of the features you’re going to tell me that I’m missing in WordPress.
- I can wait until I’m making so much money (or fame or traffic or fans) until someone smarter than I am practically forces me to upgrade the platform.
- I like paying $9 per month and that’s it.
I’m sure there are more, but that’s a good start. In fact, maybe WordPress folks should have a form that basically forces people to convince the developers and designers that they should use WordPress. The form should be unbiased and the WP crew should be able to honestly say, “Yep, they’d be just fine with Squarespace.”
If I were in the business of building a website design business, I’d frankly be worried.
But if I were in the business of making things better for clients who want to build businesses, I’d be thrilled because life is getting easier for them which should make it easier for marketers and designers to focus less on time-wasting custom code and focusing on how to grow a client’s business.
If you’re looking for a good team to help you get your business online fast and easy, try Faith Watson over at Make a Tiny Website. Tell her I sent you and send us a link to your new Squarespace site.